Senior Developer - Backend (contract)Location: Toronto - Remote
Practice: Technology and Engineering
Normative is a software innovation firm. We help leaders get their best opportunities to market, faster. We focus on early stage software to validate product market fit. We build and launch new startup propositions for our clients and for ourselves. We believe in treating every opportunity like it is our own business, and not just a project.
We’re looking for a Senior Developer to join our team. You will primarily design & build backend solutions, support the development team in defining & building solutions for our clients. You will be involved in projects from beginning to end - from client discovery, making technology recommendations & approaches, systems design & implementation. Problem solving here is critical - we push our team members to deeply understand our clients’ problems & bring solutions from ideation to life.
What you’ll be doing day to day:
- Working with other development team members to help define problems and designing the technical solutions to meet those needs.
- Architecting and developing fast, scalable backend applications to support a variety of front-end clients.
- Taking ownership of features or systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems.
- Working closely with the broader team to find creative technical solutions using modern server-side and SOA technology.
- Working with other development team members to share responsibilities
- Work in cross-disciplinary teams of people, helping them do successful work and grow as practitioners.
- Supporting junior team members in problem solving & solution guidance
What we offer:
The technology team is deeply passionate about creating a welcoming, supportive and engaging culture. We are looking for passionate people who are excited about creative methods, problem solving, and collaborative hard work. We are committed to you and we offer:
- Support in growing your work experience and portfolio
- Support with your professional goals and growth
- Consistent and constructive feedback to build a strong rapport, communication, and team culture
Overall, we work to set you up for success in accordance with your career trajectory.
- At least 5 years experience working on systems engineering projects
- Knowledge of modern infrastructure automation technology
- Extensive experience with modern cloud services (e.g. Azure, AWS, etc.)
- Experience with Docker
- Can provide leadership in technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions
- Experience with modern testing frameworks (AVA, Jest, Cypress, Mocha, etc)
- Able to manage timelines, quality and delivery.
- Experience with architecting and scaling applications
- Can provide effective code reviews
- Ability to share your skills with other team members and contribute to learning as a group
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with Azure DevOps
- Experience with TypeScript
- Experience managing teams
At Normative, we have a growth mindset: we strive to be constantly learning and pushing ourselves to be better. We know different voices bring new ideas to the table and result in better products.
Accommodations and Accessibility:
Normative provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions, or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
At Normative, we are committed to building an environment where everyone feels included, valued, and heard. Diversity, inclusion, and belonging are an important part of our everyday work, and it is our belief that they enable us to reach our goal of building trust in technology. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender, and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities.
This is a 6 month contract role.
To apply for this role, click here.